“The fashion industry might seem small and unimportant, especially in today’s world when clothes couldn’t be cheaper and more available.”
- 1963 – Amancio Ortega start’s his own company – Confencciones Goa with $25
- 1975 – Amancio open’s his first retail store, Zara. Originally intended to be called Zorba.
- Amancio took a different approach to selling fashion. Instead of a seasonal cycle, he sold product in limited product runs by marketing new designs in as little as two weeks.
- 1985 – INDITEX is created as a holding company
- 1988 – opens first international Zara in Portugal
- 1989 – opens first U.S store in New York
- 1991 – purchases Massimo Dutti
- 2001 – takes Inditex public and sells 20% of his shares
- 2004 – store number 2,000 opens in Hong Kong
- 2010 – store number 5,000 opens in Rome
- 2017 – 7,292 stores in over 92 countries
- Amancio Ortega is the 2nd wealthiest man with a mere 67 billion dollars.